Skip to main content

10/13 Weekend Wrapup

37 miles/13.6mph/2252 feet climbing

I decided to ride on Sunday. I rode from my house on Rt 214 (outside of Bellaire) towards the I-470 interchange. I passed over the highway and turned right onto Kirkwoods Heights Road. The ridge road has rollers as it progresses towards the Ohio River Valley. The descent from the ridge to Bridgeport is very fast and steep. It ranges from 8 percent to 16 percent and is very rough. I crossed onto Wheeling Island across the back channel bridge and crossed into downtown Wheeling via the suspension bridge. I stopped midway across the bridge because I heard music, which I thought was coming from the waterfront. It was not. I looked down the river and noticed the Mississippi or Delta Queen heading south on the river playing music on a steam calliope. I headed through town onto the trail out to Elm Grove. Rt 40 took me to Peters Run Road where I headed up to Rt 88. The grocery store at the top the hill is closed. I stopped at my mom's house in Leewood Park for a water stop. Then I headed down Pogues Run (newly paved and smooth) to GC&P. National Road to Mt DeChantal Rd up to the trail. Through town tracing my route across the river to Bridgeport. I then took Rt 7 south to Bellaire. I climbed out of the valley on Rt 214 (lower section newly paved) back to my house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bipolar Trail - North Bend Rail Trail

North Bend Rail Trail We drove from Wheeling, WV to the trail head outside of Clarksburg, WV, a two hour drive. The plan was to ride from Clarksburg to Parkersburg, stay overnight, and return the next day. The first few miles of the North Bend Rail Trail started out promisingly. From the Wolf Summit eastern terminus the double track trail is comprised of gravel. The trail soon turned into a challenging combination of flooded sections, flooded tunnels, single track, and finally the joy of riding on trail sections completely overgrown by grass (with ruts thrown in to make it interesting). We even interrupted a few people mowing the section of the trail that ran through their back yard. We also experienced mechanical issues, unrelated to the trail, but none the less frustrating. Several flats and the loosening of the rack attachment points on my Lemond resulted in the rack clanking for 3/4 of the ride were annoyances that we could have done without. After 29 miles we reached the town of G...

The Flying Scotsman Review

I watched "The Flying Scotsman" on Saturday night. This autobiography covers the life of Graeme Obree who challenged the status quo by fabricating a bicycle with washing machine bearings and custom tubing and ultimately beat the hour record. His design was so revolutionary that the WCF outlawed two of his designs/positions, the Flying Scotsman and Superman. Graeme battled despression throughout his life but the movie insinuated that he overcame it later in his life. It is a very inspirational movie and I recommend even the non-cyclist to watch it. Official Movie Site