Skip to main content

Crank Brothers Egg Beater Pedal UPDATE

I own two sets of the original Crank Brothers Egg Beater Pedals for my cross and road bikes. On Sunday while I was riding my Lemond Poprad, the right pedal started to snap and crackle while I was pedaling. I knew that they had not been rebuilt in at least 2000 miles and figured that it was time. On my way up the last hill, I stood up, clipped in, and the pedal flew off the spindle. I had to call sag (my wife) to transport me home.

The bearings are held in with a snap ring. The bolt holds the pedal on the spindle with direct contact to the bearings. When the sealed bearings fail, as in my case, the pedal body slides over the bolt, thus ejecting the pedal body from the spindle. Luckily I did not hurt myself, but I can imagine the injury if a pedal body sslides off and your leg slides down the spindle.

This from Crank Brothers
We have greatly improved the design of the eggbeater since the original
2002 eggbeater model that you have. Instead of a plug with a snap ring,
newer eggbeaters have a threaded end cap and spindle nut that gives better
bearing support. We can offer you a warranty upgrade, send in your old pedals
and $45 gets you new eggbeater SL pedals. Let me know if you are interested.

jason // rider support
Crank Brothers
310 Broadway
Laguna Beach, CA 92651

www.crankbrothers.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bipolar Trail - North Bend Rail Trail

North Bend Rail Trail We drove from Wheeling, WV to the trail head outside of Clarksburg, WV, a two hour drive. The plan was to ride from Clarksburg to Parkersburg, stay overnight, and return the next day. The first few miles of the North Bend Rail Trail started out promisingly. From the Wolf Summit eastern terminus the double track trail is comprised of gravel. The trail soon turned into a challenging combination of flooded sections, flooded tunnels, single track, and finally the joy of riding on trail sections completely overgrown by grass (with ruts thrown in to make it interesting). We even interrupted a few people mowing the section of the trail that ran through their back yard. We also experienced mechanical issues, unrelated to the trail, but none the less frustrating. Several flats and the loosening of the rack attachment points on my Lemond resulted in the rack clanking for 3/4 of the ride were annoyances that we could have done without. After 29 miles we reached the town of G...

The Flying Scotsman Review

I watched "The Flying Scotsman" on Saturday night. This autobiography covers the life of Graeme Obree who challenged the status quo by fabricating a bicycle with washing machine bearings and custom tubing and ultimately beat the hour record. His design was so revolutionary that the WCF outlawed two of his designs/positions, the Flying Scotsman and Superman. Graeme battled despression throughout his life but the movie insinuated that he overcame it later in his life. It is a very inspirational movie and I recommend even the non-cyclist to watch it. Official Movie Site